The Carna Experience
Cast yourself away for the ultimate wild escape in the UK’s last wilderness.
Carna offers a unique opportunity to escape to adventure on an off grid, uninhabited 600 acre island in Loch Sunart. Staying in one of our two self-catered holiday cottages tucked between the Ardnamurchan and Morvern peninsulas Carna is a truly secluded location accessed only by your inclusive boat. Carna island is surrounded by hills and mountains, abundant wildlife, sea and sky with no traffic noise, no light pollution, limited mobile signal, Wi-Fi, no TV.
We offer unique self-catering island holidays for families, friends, couples and individuals. Depart from Laga Bay, Ardnamurchan to transfer across Loch Sunart to the Isle of Carna. We’ll take you and your luggage over to Carna island, settle you in, show you how to drive the boat and where best to spot wildlife or see the best views. Then we’ll leave you to it to relax, unwind and explore at your own pace. However, should you need help or assistance we man a 24 radio link to the mainland just in case.
The island is truly off grid with no mains supplies of electricity, water, gas or drainage. Our private water supply is safe to drink and regularly tested. There are solar panels and automatic generator supplying limited electricity (enough for charging devices) and our gas cookers use bottled gas.
We support recycling and ask that plastic and cardboard are put in the blue bin, waste in the green bin and all glass should be taken away with you. There are bottle banks in Strontian and Acharacle where glass can be deposited after leaving the island.
Prices start from £2150 a week or £1118 for a 3 night short break.
We have an “all year” 20% discount for couples. Go to “book now” to check prices
What’s included in my stay?
- Off road parking in our private car park.
- Transfers for all guests and luggage to and from the mainland by boat private charter.
- Transfer of luggage from boat to cottage and vice versa
- Accommodation in either Carna House or Carna Cottage, why not book both for that special occasion?
- A self-drive pioner multi boat with training, safety equipment and fuel. Yours to explore Loch Sunart and Loch Teacuis throughout your stay.
- All household fuel including logs, gas and electricity
- Bed linen, hand and bath towels, tea towels, dish cloth etc
- Kitchen essentials tea, coffee, sugar, salt, pepper, washing up liquid, hand soap
- Toilet rolls
- Introduction to the houses and appliances
- 24 hour mainland personal support service via VHS radio, training and instructions included
- Freedom to explore the whole island of Carna unimpeded for the whole of your stay
- Fishing trips & rod hire
- Guided walks and boat trips around the island
- Wildlife Private Charter boat trips
- Pre-prepared meals or full catering can be arranged for you
- Mainland laundry facilities
- Shopping delivery for you to collect at our Laga Bay base
- Carna Cottage now has optional Wi-Fi with a smart tv and DVD player supporting Amazon firestick, Netflix etc.
- Holiday travel insurance with Booking Protect. For more information about Covid cover please follow this link
What to bring with you
- Personal Medicines
- Food and drink
- Torches and spare batteries
- Personal toiletries
- Walking boots
- Rucksack and dry bag
- Swim shoes
- Gloves, hats, socks plus spares of each
- Sun tan lotion
- Insect repellent
- Binoculars / telescope
- Tick tweezers
- Sense of Adventure!
What not to bring with you
- Hairdryers, curling tongs etc. Carna’s limited solar powered energy supply can’t support them.
- Bottled water, not required and heavy to carry.
- toilet rolls, supplied.
- Excess baggage and food supplies.